Main objective: Define the data that is meaningful to running the business
- What do you need to know to support answering the business questions?
- Get the basics here, since all subsequent phases will build on this
- The importance of understanding business requirements and securing solid business sponsorship
How to define enterprise-level business requirements, including the interview process, developing analytic themes, linking themes to business processes, developing the data warehouse bus matrix, and prioritizing business processes with senior management.
Mapping between the system metadata entities as the frame work columns is as follows:
- The data column correspond to the what perspective and maps to data maintained by the system metadata entity INFORMATION.
- The function column corresponds to the how perspective and maps to data maintained by the system metadata entity PROCESS.
- The network column correspond to where perspective and maps to data maintained by the system metadata entity LOCATION.
- The people column correspond to the who perspective and maps to data maintained by the system metadata entity USER.
- The time column (correspond to the when perspective) is implemented structurally by time/date function-based indexing determine by the smallest addressable unit of time that can be reported (e.g. minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, etc.)
- The motivation column corresponds to the why perspective and it contains explicit referential links, specifically connecting enterprise application information with the organizational strategy from the planner, owner, designer, builder, subcontractor and detail vertical integrated perspective.